May 23, 2012 -
Farm Planning via Email
Editor’s note: This entry is an email between Spice Owner/Chef Ben Bebenroth and new Spice Farm Manager Andrea Heim, detailing initial plans and goals for Spice Acres properties. The city gardens are located behind the parking lot of Spice Kitchen + Bar; the suburban gardens cover over 10,000 square feet of Ben’s backyard residence in Broadview Heights. Both properties, along with a few countryside acres leased from small farmers in our region, will supply the Spice kitchen throughout the year. Additional pictures can be found at our What’s growing on at Spice Acres? Flickr album.
On Sat., May 19th 2012 at 7:44:26PM EST, Ben Bebenroth wrote:
Absolutely you can have off the 25th. We are so busy that weekend, i would have never even noticed. I watered all of the seedlings and the radish beds out back today at 4 and it was 105 degrees in the hoops so everything was really dry. I will remove the plastic tomorrow, it is time. Also, I noticed some cracking and dessert-esque soil drying in the cabbage start pan, I think you may need a little more peat moss in your starting mix to retain a little more moisture and keep the soil light and tender. On the other hand, they were in a 105 degree hoop!!! My bad, I should have had that plastic off last week.
I’m going to answer the following in CAPS the text you wrote to make it easier.
On Sat., May 19th 2012 at 9:33AM EST, Andrea Heim wrote:
First, is it possible for me to have this friday the 25th off in order to help my grandparents move? ABSOLUTELY, YOU BASICALLY MAKE YOUR OWN SCHEDULE BASED ON THE NEEDS OF THE GARDEN. DON’T FEEL LIKE YOU NEED TO ASK FOR THE DAY AS MUCH AS JUST COMMUNICATE YOUR DAYS.
Second, I have finally made you color copies of the Spice Acres plans.
Furthermore, below are my goals, and tool list.
1. To produce enough vegetables and herbs to pay my wages and reduce the amount purchased for catered events. CHECK.
2. To develop borders around the patio and parking lot into herb-infused and aesthetically pleasing areas. AWESOME, DESPERATELY NEEDED AND SUCH PRIME SPACE. GREAT OPPORTUNITY FOR CUSTOMERS TO SEE WHAT WE’RE UP TO.
3. To develop the rooftop into viable additional planting square footage without having the roof collapse. WORD.
4. To engage customers and employees as much as possible through communication, getting their hands dirty, and showing them what we’re doing. Two further ideas include a month-by-month picture board of your backyard on facebook or hanging inside or outside the restaurant hoop, TOTALLY COOL, I WOULD LOVE IT IF YOU COULD COORDINATE THIS WITH JACKIE, SHE HANDLES ALL OF OUR SOCIAL MEDIA AND EXTERNAL COMMUNICATION. and a child and parent day with walking through the hoop and to the roof, picking some cherry tomatoes and what-not, possibly painting bird houses to put in the back of your place or restaurant. ABSOLUTELY AWESOME IDEA. YOU MAY EVEN BE ABLE TO COORDINATE A LITTLE FIELD TRIP WITH SYDNEY AND BURKE’S SCHOOL IN AUGUST WHEN THEY START BACK UP AGAIN. THE PRINCIPAL IS A FORMER PEACE CORPS MEMBER AND SUPERCOOL, THEY HAVE A NICE GARDEN AT HILTON ELEMENTARY. I LOVE IT HOWEVER THIS MATERIALIZES. I’M SO GLAD TO HAVE YOU ABOARD, YOU ARE BRINGING A HUGE PORTION OF MY VISION TO LIFE. THANK YOU FOR ACCEPTING THE CHALLENGE!
Do you have additional goals for me?
1. Scissors (4) pruning and harvesting
2. Baskets (3) for harvesting
3. Spray bottles (4) for spraying
4. 1 box baking soda for spraying
5. 1 large jug white vinegar for spraying
6. Permanent markers for labelling
7. Water pitchers (2) with shower head
I’m sure there will be more.
COOL. I HAVE AN ENVELOPE OF PETTY CASH FOR YOU. I HAVE PUT IN $250.00. PLEASE KEEP IT HANDY FOR GARAGE SALES AND OTHER EQUIPMENT AND GARDENING NEEDS. THIS WAY YOU DO NOT NEED TO BE SPENDING YOUR OWN HARD EARNED PEACE CORPS DOLLARS ON OUR STUFF. REPLACE MONEY WITH RECEIPTS AND THEN WHEN YOU ARE OUT WE WILL REFILL IT.
Lastly, the total of my receipts for Liz is $164.11, which includes 6.5 flats from various places, 6 herbs, seed packets not from Johnny’s and 2 bags of Sweet Peet. COOL, WE’LL PAY IT OUT!
AND THANK YOU, LET’S TRY TO GET TOGETHER AND SIT DOWN FOR COFFEE ONE MORNING NEXT WEEK AT THE HOUSE AND TOUCH BASE – PERHAPS WEDNESDAY?
Have a great weekend.