January 9, 2012 -
Spice Kitchen + Bar Progress Report
Opening a restaurant is no joke, folks! We’ve exhausted our employees, family, friends and volunteers with our indecisiveness and demanding ways. Although the catering company continues to grow off the charts, and our staff resumes read like Cleveland Best-Of lists, we must keep reminding ourselves (and our future customers!) that we’re new to this restaurateur business. There’s a whole new level of tenacity required to push this boulder forward. Thanks for being patient with us!
The last few months have been a whirlwind of action, decisions and more action. Beyond the million-dollar “What’s on the menu?” question, we’ve had to address a few unforeseen details:
- Oh, look, the turret roof is leaking – let’s send Ben up there armed with a very tall ladder and some blind ambition.
- The green we chose for the accent hallway is gorgeous in sunlight but resembles cat vomit at dusk – let’s repaint it a rich, chocolate brown.
- The POS system that came with the building is so crotchety, it must be circa 1999 – let’s buy one that won’t crash under the weight of our bar tabs.
- The men’s urinal is better suited to a dive bar in the burbs – let’s rip it out and cover the walls in slate.
- The seasonal centerpieces cost how much(?!) – let’s pick some dried foliage from our back lot and call it a day.
And just when we thought we had every last, little detail covered just in time to host a private party before New Years (that new urinal went in at 6:15pm; guests showed up at 7:30!), we find a guest wandering about looking for the men’s room and realize…um, yeah, we forgot to put the men’s and women’s signs on the doors.
Fortunately, our initial buzz has been unbelievable. We’re so, so thankful for the outpouring of support we’ve received since committing to this endeavor last fall.
We welcome your feedback when we open next week – tentatively Tuesday, January 17th! Please stay tuned to our Facebook page for the official date.
Here’s to taking on new adventures in 2012! Cheers.