November 21, 2011 -
Spice Recipe: Rosemary Sage Brined Turkey
Rosemary Sage Brined Turkey: A Spice of Life Recipe
Disclaimer: Spice Of Life Catering Co. is exempt from liability of any damage done to the reader’s abode and or Thanksgiving Day expirience due to the neglegence or lack of caution used when allowing a turkey to brine itself. Said turkey is to be killed, dressed and plucked before attempting to allow said turkey to “Brine Itself.” If said turkey is left to its own devices in a living state with all brine igredients mise en placed out and ready to assemble do not be surprized if said turkey runs laps around your house, claws at your carpeting, pecks at your children and takes a crap in your sink. I cannot stress this enough, turkeys are destructive, unpredictable, and dumb as hell. Please ensure said turkey is dead, dressed and plucked before embarking on this briney adventure.
Here’s what you need:
2 Gallons Water
2 Cup Kosher salt
1 Cup Sugar
2 Bunches Fresh Rosemary
2 Bunches Fresh Sage
¼ Bunch Fresh Thyme
5 Bay Leaves
2 Heads Garlic Peeled and Smashed
1 Onion sliced
2 Tab Black peppercorns
2 Tab White peppercorns
4 Lemons halved
1 14-16lbs Organic Farm Raised Turkey
1. Place all ingredients beside turkey in a large pot and brine to a simmer until sugar and salt is dissolved.
2. Remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.
3. Place turkey and chilled brine in a large plastic container. Make sure turkey is submerged for 18 to 24 hours. Make sure turkey is weight down.
4. Remove turkey from the brine, rinse and pat dry. Let rest uncovered in the refrigerator for 5 to 24 hours.
5. Preheat oven to 450. Place turkey on a roasting rack breast side up. Cook for 20 minutes then turn down to 350.
6. Turn turkey breast side down and cook till an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Remove from the oven and let rest for 15 minutes before carving.
If you try it, let us know how you like it! Happy Thanksgiving from the staff at Spice of Life.
Thanks to Brunty Farms for the gracious use of your turkey pictures!